These scones are bursting with blackberry flavor and the extra vanilla really shines here! Such a tasty not too sweet gluten free scone to go with your morning coffee. Bonus points if you pick your own berries! We had such a fun outing picking buckets of blackberries and some were used to make these scones. Enjoy!
- Mix Muffin & More mix, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Grate the butter (with a cheese grater) directly into the flour mixture. Toss to incorporate.
- Add vanilla, egg, and half & half and mix gently to barely combine.
- Add the berries and mix to slightly mash the berries into the batter – be gentle here!
- On a parchment lined pan form two discs with the batter mine were about 1/4 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter – add extra berries on top.
- Freeze the discs of batter for about 2 hours ** see the notes below if you want to skip this step!
- When frozen, remove the batter discs from the freezer & preheat the oven to 350F.
- Slice the frozen discs into even triangles. You should have 6 slices per disc.
- Arrange the scones on the baking sheet with about 1 inch in-between each scone.
- Bake for 25 mins until just cooked through.
Allow to cool and Enjoy!
**freezing the batter allows you to cut crisp lines and really helps the scones hold their shape when cooking. You can certainly skip this step if you are in a hurry and just form shapes with the batter for baking OR cook in the disc form and slice them when they are baked & cooled. If skipping the freezing skip to step 9 after mixing in the berries.