Gluten Free Protein Pancake Recipe
These gluten free protein pancakes are one of my favorite mom hacks! Adding more protein to our gluten free pancake mix makes them a power breakfast that kids (and adults) will EAT. I always make a double batch and keep some in the freezer for busy mornings or even snacks!
These are delicious on their own but feel free to top with your favorite maple syrup, nut butter, or fresh berries! These can easily be made dairy free using dairy free milk and plant based protein powder.
Here is the full list of ingredients you will need for this protein pancake recipe:
- 2 cup batch Josie’s Best GF Pancake Mix made with what works for you! (we used ghee, oat milk, and 3 chicken eggs)
- 1 serving of your favorite protein powder (for ours that’s 2 scoops)
- Equal portion (same amount as the protein powder) of water.
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
You will need our gluten free pancake mix for this recipe. We have several sizes available in The pancake mix:
18oz pouch (about 3 1/2 cups of pancake mix)
6oz single use (a pre-measured one cup batch)
5lb bag (for the pancake lovers!)
As with the rest of our products, The Pancake is certified gluten free and free from the top 9+ allergens.
The Ingredients in our gluten free pancake mix are:
Potato Starch, Brown Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, Organic Cane Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Baking Powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, monocalcium phosphate) Salt, and Xanthan Gum
- If you are not serving your pancakes immediately do not stack them as the steam will make them soggy! Setting them on a cooling rack is a great option.
- If you find the bottom side of your pancake is getting too dark (before the pancake is ready to flip) you need to turn down the heat on your pan.
- If you find that your pancakes are wider on the top than the bottom and a bit dense, then, you most likely flipped them too late! Flipping the pancakes when the top side is still raw ensures an even cook!
One of the best things about Josie’s Best GF Pancake Mix is how easy it is to make your own! Our traditional pancake recipe is perfectly delicious but don’t hesitate to get creative! Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
1. Blueberry Pancakes: Add a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries to the pancake batter for a burst of fruity flavor. The sweetness of the blueberries complements the gluten-free pancake mix perfectly.
2. Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Who doesn’t love chocolate chip pancakes? Stir in some chocolate chips into the batter for a decadent treat. You can use dairy-free chocolate chips if you prefer a dairy-free option.
3. Banana Pancakes: Our banana pancakes recipe is perfect for vegan diets and banana lovers alike!
From her childhood watching her culinary father whip up breakfasts, Josie has always appreciated good food—especially if that food was fluffy, round, and drizzled with syrup. When she was diagnosed with food allergies in her 20s, she set out to find a pancake mix that could stand up to her cravings.
When she couldn’t find it on the market, she spent hours in her kitchen tinkering with ingredients and measurements until she created what we now simply call “the pancake.” From there, we’ve grown Josie’s Best Gluten Free to include the waffle, the muffin & more, and the crepe.
What started as a personal mission has grown into a larger one—to bring back breakfast for everyone. Today, our customers are revived breakfast enthusiasts, home bakers, and well-loved restaurants looking to provide delicious options for all. And, just like a plate of pancakes or fresh-baked bread, Josie’s is best served with warm smiles and a side of family connection.
For the sleeves rolled up, flour on the nose messes that are the beginning of lifelong memories. We’re there on Sundays when you want to pile the pancakes higher than little hands can reach them. Or when you’ve declared “breakfast for dinner” and, somehow, it’s the best night of the week. Josie’s Best Gluten Free is there for all the moments you should never miss out on because of a food allergy.
All of Josie’s products are free from not only gluten but also the Top 9+ allergens:
- Wheat and Gluten
- Tree Nuts
Why you’ll love Josie’s Best GF:
✔Easily cooks all-the-way through
You won’t find:
✖Any weird after-taste
2 cup batch Josie’s Best GF Pancake Mix made with what works for you! (we used ghee, oat milk, and 3 chicken eggs)
1 serving of your favorite protein powder (for ours that’s 2 scoops)
Equal portion (same amount as the protein powder) of water.
Chocolate Chips (optional)
Add the protein powder and water to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Add the wet ingredients (milk, egg, oil) per the instructions on the pancake mix and mix well.
Gently fold in your pancake mix & let the batter rest while your pan heats up
Using a non stick style pan is easiest. You can certainly use a stainless steel or cast iron skillet, just make sure it will sell seasoned and preheated when you lay the pancake batter down.
Gently lay the pancake mix down on your preheated pan. Note: the pan should be warm but not smoking!
Your pancakes are ready to flip when a few bubbles start forming and popping on the top.
Gently slide a flipper under your pancake and flip to the other side to cook for 1-2 minutes.
To test for doneness gently poke the pancake in the middle. A finished pancake will gently spring back. If the pancake does not spring back or has any batter ooze out of the sides let it cook for a few minutes longer.
Serve immediately and enjoy your protein packed gluten free pancake stack!!