Gluten Free Cranberry Apple Crisp
This gluten free apple crisp recipe has an easy twist using cranberries to add a burst of flavor. We make this ahead of time often and it stays nice and crisp for a couple of days in the fridge. I initially made this recipe on New Years day and we took it to a tailgate party for everyone to enjoy. Just a classic yummy topping. Crisps are so easy and foolproof. This simple topping can be used for any type of crisp recipe to make it gluten free.
To make this a dairy free crisp recipe and vegan gluten free apple crisp simply use your favorite vegan & dairy free butter to replace conventional butter in the ingredients. Dairy free butter has a tendency to melt a bit faster which is not a problem in this recipe! Happy Baking! Josie
6-8 firm, tart, apples (we used granny smith)
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup white sugar(or coconut)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1 cup of gluten-free old fashion oats
1/2 cup Josie’s Best GF Muffin & More Mix
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup very cold finely chopped or grated butter (dairy free works too!)
Preheat oven to 350
Peel, core, and evenly chop apples and place into a bowl.
Mix in cranberries, white sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
In another bowl mix:
Old fashion oats, Muffin & More Mix, 1 TBSP cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.
Then mix in:
3/4 cup very cold finely chopped or grated butter.
Note: You want the butter fairly well incorporated so you get a slightly moist “sandy” texture. A few big chunks of butter are great!
1. Dump filling in a large (5 qt) glass baking dish.
2. Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup white sugar (or coconut) on top
3. Evenly sprinkle the topping on top of the apples and slightly tap it down so the topping is a little “packed in” to the apples.
4. Bake for 45mins to 1hr at 350 until the juices of the apples are bubbling throughout.
5. Allow to cool and enjoy! This is delicious cold or at room temp.