Gluten Free Soft Cherry Almond Scone (Made with Muffin & More Mix)
I’ve adapted this recipe from Joy of Cooking and Sally’s Baking Addiction.
I’ve also made the “favorite blueberry scones” from Sally’s Baking Addiction by just replacing AP flour with the Muffin and More and they turn out perfect! Made with Josie’s Best Gluten Free Muffin and More Mix.
- 2 cups Josie’s Best Gluten Free Muffin and More mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 14.5 oz can tart red cherries (unsweetened)
Frozen butter is key and something I’ve learned along the way somewhere; Sally’s Baking blog uses this technique as well. You’ll never go back to cutting cold butter into recipes!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease well.
- In a medium bowl, combine Muffin and More mix, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Grate frozen butter directly on top of the dry mixture. Gently combine butter and dry ingredients with your fingers or a pastry blender until well incorporated.
- Mix egg, half-and-half, vanilla and almond extracts in a small bowl.
- Pour over butter mixture.
- Very gently mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in cherries. Do not to over mix! The dough will be very wet. Gently pour out onto the prepared baking sheet and pat into about 8 inch round disk.
- Cut into 8 slices and gently separate slices to create a little space (just a tad, less than an inch is fine).
- Cook for 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Cool completely on a rack.
- Drizzle with icing if desired (mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp half-and-half or milk).